I’m gonna take my trip. I’m gonna go back to Alaska again, because of some good memories. And, um, just do what I have to do. I have this book called Final Exit by Dr. Kevorkian. Some people call him Dr. Death. And it’s like, various ways that you can end your life if you need to. And, um, it’s kind of like a recipe. I have it, if I have to fall back on it for some ideas, but I’m not gonna spend any more time indoors in a hospital. No, thanks. … I’m gonna be 75 this year and I think I’ve lived a pretty good life. I’ve seen some really neat things, kayaking, all those places. And, you know, moose in the wild. A moose family on a river in Idaho. Um… And big, white pelicans landin’ just six feet over my kayak on a lake in Colorado. Or, uh… um, come around a bend, was a cliff, and find hundreds and hundreds of swallow nests on the wall of the cliff. And the swallows flyin’ all around. And reflecting in the water so it looks like I’m flying with the swallows and they’re under me, and over me, and all around me. And the little babies are hatchin’ out and egg shells are fallin’ out of the nests, landin’ on the water and floatin’ on the water. These little white shells. It’s like, well, it’s just so awesome. I felt like I’d done enough. My life was complete. If I died right then, that moment, it’d be perfectly fine.

Nomadland, de Chloé Zhao (2020)